Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Review: Thai Kitchen Spring Onion Instant Rice Noodle Soup

Price: Food Lion in Raleigh, NC ~$0.80 with tax (online search tells me this is really good price; otherwise the average is around $1.15 per 1.16oz package)

Serving: I must say, when I opened the package, I could have sworn there was about a quarter of the amount of the usual "ramen noodles" package, and just knew it would be just a snack. Behold! It is actually the perfect serving for people that don't prefer to eat an entire package (or two) of ramen.

Flavor: First, the texture was great, and it cooked well in my unmeasured amount of super-hot water (I decided to forego the microwaving since I had use of a hot-water dispenser), classic rice noodles. I was surprised at the size of the flavor packet, but decided to use the entire thing since I've never had it. Also was an oil packet, typical to packaged thai soups, which I only used 1/3 of since I have a thing against a lot of oil in my food. Well, the amount of oil seemed sufficient for the bowl, and it turned out to be a good healthy soybean oil with chili powder which lent a great spiciness to the noodles. Overall it was very good, and I was quite pleased.

Worth the extra $0.60 more than traditional americanized ramen for people that like true delicate (not over-salted and non-specific) asian-inspired flavors.

The final score? Its a:
B+

No comments:

Post a Comment